What's On Your Wall? Why Not Try A Gallery?

Styles have changed - and so have mine. I think the strongest place you can see this style change is from what is on our walls. For a while, I was stuck on the simple line up of prints or photos on my walls - usually in two's or three's - mostly hung vertical. But about two years ago I started to change. The funny thing is though, I saw myself gravitating towards a style I fell in love with back in the late 90's - The Gallery Wall. The first one that really caught my attention was in a Ralph Lauren Home magazine ad, and I've loved ever since...


I have to try to find an old picture, but I had recreated this look on one wall in my old apartment. It was when I first started to "collect" B&W framed photos of NYC. When I moved out (around 2003), I got away from the look of the mass grouping.
Tomorrow I'll post some of the gallery walls I've created around here - including how I made new one on Monday.

This has always has been my favorite look.


A gallery wall isn't something to be done on every wall - or it could look a little chaotic. But a gallery wall (or hall) is a great way to create a focal point in a space - especially if no interesting architecture exists in the space. Gallery walls can carry you from one space to another, or lead you up a flight of stairs, or captivate your attention with its content: a collection of meaningful photos, sketches, posters, or even shopping bags. They can be formatted into the shape of a box or create movement with a more jagged edge. Frames could be mismatched, or different finishes in black or all one color like white or red. Here's a few inspirational gallery walls I've collected the past two years from the Internet. Tomorrow I'll share the one I made on Monday. For now - enJOY!


Red frames and black doors - LOVE it!


Great use of space on a stairway landing.


Gallery walls in halls and stairs lead you from one space to another...



Love the look- On Trend stripes & a gallery wall, also called salon styling.


Even Thomas O'Brien has changed is wall art display styling in his NY apartment...


Beautiful sketches framed in a gallery & otherwise white space...


LOVE this look - a rustic wall finish and an eclectic collection...


Spare your walls from the holes and create a rotating gallery with shelves...


Add drama to your gallery with a dark colored wall. Try navy, off black or charcoal...


Great industrial vibe for an office or studio...


Create drama & imapct at an entryway or foyer...


Personal photos can be displayed privately in the boudoir...


Mix sketches and photography, but keep order in the gallery format...


Another one of my faves!


In a bedroom, keep the peacefulness of the space by hanging the gallery above or around your bed. You'll have the focal point & impact when you come in, but keep a restful feel for yourself when you're in bed, because the organized chaos is behind you...


A gallery wall is great to use in a dining space as well.
Think of the conversations it could start, or maybe it could give a dual purpose to the space: use your dining room as an office if you meet with clients at home...



Another one of my faves: Frame your favorite shopping bags.
This is great to use in an office, or if you've converted a spare room
into a dressing room for yourself...


West Elm has had some great frames and prints.
You can create the same look framing your favorite scrapbook paper, wrapping paper, postcards or keepsake cards.


Black frames and books are always a classic combination...


A gallery wall is a great place to tell a story: of your family, of your children, of your childrens art, or even of the places you've traveled to (or would like to travel to!)


If you run out of space, just artfully lean a few peices on the floor.
Your pets could also enjoy the new view =)
Or create a boundary for your gallery by lining it up
with the furniture below it...


And although this last pic isn't a gallery wall, it is an interesting way to display photos or postcards. Could be cute in a kids room...



Have you ever created a gallery wall?
What inspired you? How did you do it?

Thanks for stopping by!




3 comments:

  1. I need to do this in our hallway and have been putting it off and putting it off....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the wall photos. A very inspiring post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails